In our 24/7 non-stop world of deadlines, hectic schedules, responsibility and stress, great days are hard to come by. But what if there was a way to change that?
Here are 5 simple steps you can do each day to help make it great with the goal of building happiness:
- Focus on gratitude early. Before even getting out of bed in the morning, clear your mind of the days “to do” list and spend 60 seconds focusing on what you are grateful for. By focusing on basic things you are grateful for you instantly help put yourself in a good mood.
- Choose happy foods. Part of having a great day is making healthy nutritional choices. One powerful approach is to choose your meals wisely and eat things that increase happiness. Foods such as apples, berries, and oranges have been found to have mood boosting powers.
- Do something physical. Physical activity has been scientifically proven to have a positive impact on mood while also acting as a powerful tool to increase happiness. You don’t have to hit the gym hard, stretching, walking or going for a bike ride will be enough to release powerful brain chemicals that are known to power up your happiness.
- Schedule happiness. Yes, it is possible. Scheduling happiness for yourself can be as simple as taking a quiet walk around the block and focusing on gratitude or spending some time with your pet.
- Choose happiness. It sounds simple, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy. Choosing happiness means reaching deep inside and believing you are worthy of happiness. It means identifying your triggers for stress in advance and choosing how you will respond. Choosing happiness means loving yourself for the person you are and turning off negative self-talk.
Having daily happiness is ultimately up to you! Sure there are days where things come up and derail you from time to time, but with the right mental and emotional attitude, coupled with some tweaking on your part, great days can become part of your reality. Before you know it, you will be well on your way to a great week!