Negative thoughts can drain you of energy, and keep you from being in the present moment. The more you give in to these negative thoughts the stronger they become. Once these negative thoughts occur it is hard to stop them and shift your focus to more positive thinking. But if you want to stop yourself from going down a painful and unnecessary path then learning how to overcome this hurdle will benefit you greatly in the long run.
Here are some tips you can try to begin your journey to positive thinking:
- Surround yourself with positive people- when you are stuck in a negative spiral, talking to people who will put things into perspective and won’t feed your negative thoughts will help you.
- Change the tone of your thoughts from negative to positive- for example instead of thinking “tomorrow is going to be such a tiring, and hectic day at work,” think, “tomorrow I will have some challenges to face at work, but I will overcome them and feel accomplished at the end of the day.”
- Don’t play victim. You created your life, take responsibility- you are never stuck in a situation, there is always room for growth and change.
- Help someone- take the focus off of yourself and do something nice for someone, it will take your mind off of things and make you feel good about yourself.
- Practice self-affirmation- this is the latest psychological cure-all. It involves thinking about your positive traits and beliefs and has been found to increase social confidence and self control.
If you are struggling with ridding yourself of negative thoughts, counseling can be a great way to get help. The therapists at Star Point Counseling can work with you and teach you tips and exercises on changing your negative thoughts into positive ones.
Call today to make an appointment and begin building a more positive and happier you! (813)244-1251